Odd Magnetic Media question

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 30 16:03:15 2000

OK, I've got a wierd question now. What is the lifespan of Magnetic Media?
In this case, I'm concerned about 4mm DAT, but since I'm more familiar with
8mm it as an example.

Let's say I've got a stack of 8mm tapes with data on them. They're
supposed to be good for archival purposes, when stored in the proper
conditions for 2 years.

Now let's say I've got a brand new box of 8mm tapes that have been sitting
around still sealed for 8 years. Again, they've been stored in the proper
conditions more or less. So are they still good? Is the 2 year number for
their ability to hold data, or the actual physical lifespan. Anyone have
any ideas?

The real reason for the question is finding some 4mm tapes that are still
sealed, and I'd estimate about 8 years old.

                        Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |