Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 30 20:05:11 2000

Hi Tony,

> The 'Local Viewdata System' seems to be a program (which I
>don't have AFAIK) that turns a networked 380Z into a viewdata
>server....

Interesting, does this then imply that there was a Teletext/Viewdata
compatible graphics adapter available for the 380Z? Or did it simulate a
Viewdata display using the hi-res graphics option?

>....Other machines (380Z and 480Z) on the network can call up
>'pages' from that server....

Wasn't there a similar package available for the BBC micro?

> The user port (and user ports in general) was a nice idea.
>It's a pity you don't see them on modern micros...

Yes, the science dept at school did a fair bit of stuff with the user port
on one of the 380Zs. They also used one of the science teachers' PET in
several demonstrations, couldn't have done that without the user port.

> That's it -- sort-of. A white case (with a black underside IIRC)
>that looks a little like an Electron).

I've dug mine out, it appears to be specifically intended for the Electron -
even the label above the cassette flap is printed in the same style as that
of the Electron.

I think I've seen the version you mention though - black bottom, top part
same cream/beige colour as BBC micro and black buttons?

> You have an Interak? NICE!

Yes, I swapped it for a BBC B (with Torch disc pack and CP/N co-processor)
back in '89/'90.

It's a nice system, not a PAL or an ASIC in sight. I even have the floppy
controller board for it, but have never set that up since I don't have the
CP/M disc(s).

It's a pity Greenbank Electronics no longer exist, I could do with a few
prototyping cards for it.

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)