Tephelones (fairly off topic)

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Thu Mar 30 13:49:30 2000

On Mar 30, 19:25, Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk wrote:

> This is only on topic at all because I shall be using a classic computer
for
> it...
>
> I understand that some mobile telephones nowadays can download tunes to
play
> when they ring. Can anybody point me to (a) the download protocol(s)
that the
> phones use and (b) the file format(s) for these tunes?

Yes, several Nokia, Ericsson, and Siemens models can download tunes, and a
few can be programmed in other ways with a data cable. One place to start
might be

http://www.cellulartips.com/index.html

but there are lots of other sites around. You'll find a lot of information
by using AltaVista, or DejaNews to search the uk.telecom newgroups as well
(look for "nokia" and "data"), eg

http://www.gadgets.demon.co.uk/nokia61xx/

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull