I need some PDP-11 RT11 archiving software

From: CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com <(CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com)>
Date: Fri Mar 31 13:43:26 2000

>>>It would be really nice if this software just asked the end user to load a
>>>paper tape, then huit return, and it sends the data read out a separate
>>>serial port, then prompts to load the next one.
>
>>What sort of paper tape reader are you using? If it's a serial reader,
>>you can hook it straight up to a PC-clone running MS-DOS and MS-Kermit
>>(or Linux and C-Kermit) and archive the tapes that way. Both MS-Kermit
>>and C-Kermit include powerful scripting languages.

>PC05 with a PC11 controller.

OK, you can hook the PC05 up to a PC, but you'd have to do some re-wiring
and write the simple code to read it. If you've already got a running RT-11
system with the PC11 in it up and running, it's probably easier if
you use Kermit on the RT end and a Kermit script on the PC-clone to
do the automation and user prompting.

OTOH I could run all the tapes through the machinery here in a few days,
as well. It's too bad that you have to do it all in just a few days
before they're gone, setting up the automation on your end with your equipment
sounds like it might end up taking most of your allotted time, when such
archiving (ideally) shouldn't be done in such a rush.

How many feet total are we talking about, 10 thousand feet, 30 thousand
feet, 100 thousand feet? Remember than 10 thousand feet is (approximately)
1.2 megabytes, and takes a bit more than an hour if you can run it
continuously through a PC05's 300 char/sec reader.

--
 Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa_at_trailing-edge.com
 Trailing Edge Technology          WWW:   http://www.trailing-edge.com/