Popular Computing on eBay for $150+

From: Mark Gregory <gregorym_at_cadvision.com>
Date: Thu Mar 1 08:54:27 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sellam Ismail" <foo_at_siconic.com>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 9:16 PM
Subject: Re: Popular Computing on eBay for $150+

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Michael Nadeau wrote:
>
> > Another reference identifies Yates as a former Air Force officer with
an
> > aeronautical engineering background:
> > http://ieee.cincinnati.fuse.net/reiman/03_1998.html
>
> An interesting thing about this article is that it says the first
> prototype of the Altair, the one that was allegedly lost in shipment,
> "arrived a year later".

If true, this is interesting in a "Treasure Hunter" sort of way. Assuming
the machine did eventually show up, it may still exist. The legend of its
loss is familiar to most collectors, so if you could prove that you had
_that_ machine, it would presumably be worth a lot more than your average
Altair. If Ed Roberts verifies this story, it would be interesting to know
if Altair prototype #1 had any features that would positively identify it.

And no, I don't have any old Altairs I'm shortly putting up on eBay : v )

Mark.