What do you people use for tape cleaning ?

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Fri Mar 2 11:17:32 2001

At 09:11 AM 3/2/01 +0200, you wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 10:25:47AM -0500, Joe wrote:
>> I have a cleaning kit for the HP 9144/9145 it uses what appears to be
>> isopropyl alcohol. I haven't used it in a while so I don't remember if
>> it's marked or not but that's what it appeared to be.
>>
>> Also the 9144/9145s are subject to the same feed roller rot that the
>> other HPs are so check your rollers and see if they've gotten mushy and/or
>> sticky. If they have then cleaning is not going to help.
>>

>The feed roller rot is a new thing to me, I'll check them out. Is there
>anything one can do if that's the case ? I know I've opened my 9144 a few
>times but I don't have a mental image of it right now. Sandpaper ?
>--
>jht

    The only thing you can do is to replace the rollers. However I have no
idea where to find replacements. I doubt sandpaper will help, the rollers
get soft all the way through. Fortunatly, it only seems to be a problem in
about 20% of the 9144 that I've looked at. OTOH, it's a problem in about
95% of the HP 65s, 67s, 85s, etc. I suppose the difference may be due to
the 9144/9145s being slightly newer. I just hope they don't all go bad
eventually.

      Joe