HLL Computers

From: Lee Courtney <lcourtney_at_mvista.com>
Date: Tue Mar 6 11:05:45 2001

Yup, another good one. WHen I get home I'll look to see if it discusses the
SYMBOL machine. BTW, David Ditzel of Transmeta worked on SYMBOL (at Iowa)
and recently rediscovered the machine when he saw the one on display at
MOffett.

When I was in college in the mid-70s HLL architectures were an area of
considerable interest and research. I was originally attracted to work at HP
because of work they had done creating an incremental APL compiler with
microcode support on the HP3000. The RISC tidal wave seems to have
extinguished most efforts in this area.

> > Has the SYMBOL machine machine been mentioned? (There's one
> in on display at
> > the Computer Museum History Center in Mtn. View CA.).
>
> One, or part of one?

I believe only the CPU is in the collection.