New here :-)

From: FBA <fauradon_at_mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Tue Mar 6 11:32:24 2001

>Essentially, this means that 1 Litre of pure water weighs 1Kg and is
>where the basic units came from.

1 Litre will also fit quite nicely in a cube 10cm a side.

For a person whom has used the metric for 2/3 of my life I still find it
very clear and precise.
I hate to have to remember all those weird numbers 5280 feet in a mile, 16
ounces to a can oh wait that's beer here...
It took me a while to get used to the units on this side of the pond and I
still strugglt when I need a pint and all I have to measure is a cup.
And I found the most people here don't even know all those psychoweirdo
stuff.
Hey the Nasdaq just dropped the fractional notation. That's another funky
stuff I had to deal with adding 3/32 of an inch to 3/8 of an inch does not
look like fun to me when I could be adding mm or cm.
Look what happened when one bonehead uses Imperial measurements instead of
the standard metric system for the mars smasher ^H^H^H^H^H^H lander.
I don't think the US will ever make it to the metric system. It is always
presented as a difficult system in schools. some kids always ooh aah when I
mention the metric stuff to them.
Wake up people of the United states it's 2001 and we don't need to know the
lenght of the thumb or foot or whatever appendage from some long dead ruler
of an old island.

Francois