New here :-)

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Tue Mar 6 02:59:26 2001

On Mar 5, 22:17, Tony Duell wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > Tony wrote:

> > > 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons
> >
> > Except that, traditionally, there are two teaspoons in a dessertspoon
and
> > two dessertspoons in a tablespoon. It doesn't add up :-)
>
> I believe the 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon is right in America. We have
> slightly different spoons over here.

Well, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek :-) "Officially" (whose office, I
don't know) a teaspoon here is 5ml and a tablespoon is 15ml, so it's now
1:3 here too. Like Dick, though, I know mine don't work out that way :-)

> When you consider that most recipies include such reproducable standards
> as '1 egg' or 'a pinch of salt', you come to realise that measuring
> _anything_ accurately is probably a total waste of time :-)

And if you do, it probably won't come out right anyway -- your flour will
be a different grade, or your eggs a different size, than those of the
person who wrote the recipe. Or they do it by eye too, and just wrote down
what they *thought* they used :-)

I started to learn to cook when I was quite young, and I still remember the
occasion when I read a recipe that called for a teaspoon of vanilla
essence. "Mum! Is that a level or a heaped teaspoon?" She had to think
about it for a moment...

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager