IBM System 36

From: Steve Robertson <steven_j_robertson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 7 13:52:22 2001

There are a number of different variants but, that sounds a lot like my /36.
Basically, the entire system is one box (box ass tower) with integral HDs,
I/O, tape drive (optional), and 8" floppy drive. I think most of the HDs are
in the 60-90MB range.

All external devices including the console are connected through a twinax
cable. IIRC, mine has several (4) coax connectors on the rear panel. I don't
recall the terminal type but, I think they are common IBM twinax terminals.
I see the terminals on Ebay fairly often. As I recall, they go pretty cheap.

Since the HDs are internal and the systems are not likely to be under
maintenance, it's not too difficult to find a 36 with the OS still
installed. The one I collected came with all the original install disks so
passwords weren't an issue. The lack of an available OS has certainly
dissuaded me from bothering with any 400 stuff.

I messed around with the box when I first got it but, it really didn't seem
all that interesting so, I stuck it in the garage.

I'm sure a number of other collectors s on this list also have a /36?

Steve Robertson