IBM System 36

From: Chad Fernandez <fernande_at_internet1.net>
Date: Wed Mar 7 14:37:37 2001

Hello Steve!

Steve Robertson wrote:

> There are a number of different variants but, that sounds a lot like my /36.
> Basically, the entire system is one box (box ass tower) with integral HDs,
> I/O, tape drive (optional), and 8" floppy drive. I think most of the HDs are
> in the 60-90MB range.

Hmm, I actually have some blank 8" floppies. What type are those HDs,
SCSI?

> All external devices including the console are connected through a twinax
> cable. IIRC, mine has several (4) coax connectors on the rear panel. I don't
> recall the terminal type but, I think they are common IBM twinax terminals.
> I see the terminals on Ebay fairly often. As I recall, they go pretty cheap.

What about using a terminal emulator? When you say "all devices", does
that mean no serial ports?

> Since the HDs are internal and the systems are not likely to be under
> maintenance, it's not too difficult to find a 36 with the OS still
> installed. The one I collected came with all the original install disks so
> passwords weren't an issue. The lack of an available OS has certainly
> dissuaded me from bothering with any 400 stuff.

I'll have to check for disks. It had a pile of stuff on top. How many
disks are we talking about, approx?

> I messed around with the box when I first got it but, it really didn't seem
> all that interesting so, I stuck it in the garage.
>
> I'm sure a number of other collectors s on this list also have a /36?

Thanks Steve!

I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to at least take a look at it, next
time.... if it is still there!

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA