Now we are into cars and planes

From: Mark Gregory <gregorym_at_cadvision.com>
Date: Sat Mar 10 10:20:34 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Date: Friday, March 09, 2001 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: Now we are into cars and planes

>At 07:09 PM 3/9/01 -0500, Alison wrote:
>>From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>

>>> I recently had a memory unit for an EA-6. It used core memory. It
>>was
>>>SN 001 and the ICs dated from 1966 if I remember right. Of course, there
>>>was probably more than memory in the EA-6. I sold the unit but I can dig
>>>out the description and pictures if anyone's interested.
>>

>>EA-6 is later and used updated hardware.
>
> It's hard to think of core memory as "updated" hardware. :-) I hate to
>imagine what an *earlier* fixed disk looked like!
>
> Joe

I seem to recall Stephen Coonts mentioning the A-6's nav system computers in
"Flight of the Intruder". IIRC, there's a passage where the navigator resets
the computer, and its mentioned that it uses rotating drum memory. That
would make sense for early versions of the A-6, since they were designed in
the late 1950's. Because of the A-6's extraordinarily long service life, it
wouldn't surprise me if it hadn't been fitted with every generation of
computer technology from drums to microchips during its many avionics
overhauls.

Cheers,
Mark.