Apple LC550

From: jpero_at_sympatico.ca <(jpero_at_sympatico.ca)>
Date: Sat Mar 10 17:04:20 2001

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:54:50 -0800
> To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
> From: Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: Apple LC550

> >I just received a load of Apple MACS. Among them about a half dozed
> >LC550's from a school. They work great except they are password
> >protected except the student accounts. Is there a way to bypass the
> >password protection on these or will they need an operating system
> >reload? What is the latest that these will run. They have 7.5.3 loaded
> >now.
>
> Try booting from a floppy.
>
> 030 can run 7.6.1
> 040 should run 8.1

I have to add to this any '030 and '040, on 7.x fine w/ 8MB or more
and bigger than 120MB HD to get performance. Those little conner 40,
80 and 120, some low end scsi hds is slow than what it should be.
Apple is known for not using midrange hds in most of them except in
high end machines. Trust me, 4MB is still too small. For OS 8.x,
must have more vram for "eye-candy" and 32MB or more, '040 25MHz or
faster. I have this eightball OS on that 610, slow because of cpu
and slow hd. ELS 170 version of scsi as apple 160MB, was set up like
this when I bought it. Swap hd for 2 or 3 generation newer.

> The caveat is that systems without much memory, ie most likely yours may be
> much better off a few revs back.

Heed that. Or find IIcx, it has '030 and fpu by default
running 25MHz, slot for cache card, only plm is ram greater than
30pin 16MB per stick, pricy. Plus side for expansion, IIcx has 3
Nubus slots. Avoid IIvi and IIvx they're low budget machines with
performance to match. LC 630 CD or something better. Can buy video
adapter cables to hook up peecee monitor to mac. I made one myself
successfully. I used it on LC III and 610. Should work on any mac
LC series, any centris, quadra, performas.

Working on these Macs is far easier than peecees and more fun.

Cheers,

Wizard