SCSI connectivity

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sun Mar 11 10:50:03 2001

My first PC SCSI drives were interfaced via a 1522, and, though it uses
programmed I/O, it was always at least fast enough for Windows or Linux use.
People went on endlessly about how much better the DMA-based boards were, but, I
couldn't prove it. In fact, it was over a year after I got my first 3940AU (the
dual-channel version of the 2940AU) before I could get it to work, due to some
problem or other with Plug-N-Pray and it never worked in some of my earlier
motherboards. Once it did, it performed quite well, but only whe IT wanted to.
It died within 6 months of starting to work, and none of my dead 2940AU's has
lasted over 3 months. There was apparently some detail in the ADAPTEC warranty
that allows them to escape their claims. In any case, I always get a quick
automated reply from their answer-bot, a superficial reply from a technician at
their customer service group, followed by one or more irrelevant posts and then
no follow-through.

In general, I'd say that if you can find an alternative to ADAPTEC, at least
with their PCI products, I'd use the alternative.

Dick