Looking for--data on ProLog SBCs

From: Steve Robertson <steven_j_robertson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 12 10:40:52 2001

Rich,

I have a s***load of STD BUS boards and DOCS including 4 or 5 complete
systems with 8" disks. Alas, no hard drive based systems. If there's any
specific info, you're looking for, I'd be glad to look it up for you?
Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner or digital camera so bear with me :-(

The 7805 is a SBC that may or may not need any additional support cards.
They were mostly used in industrial or dedicated controllers and in fact
many are still in use today. Most of those boards (although not all) have
the processor, serial I/O, RAM, ROM, and timing circuitry all on one board.

Being controllers, there were a wide range of IO options available.
Everything from ADC/DAC converters, 16, 32, 48, 64 bit parallel interfaces,
OPTO 22 and relay drivers, temperature sensors, DISK controllers, etc...
Certainly the two additional cards that you have fit that category.

With all the IO options, they make great platforms for home automation
projects.

Most of the external cards have jumpers that can be used to configure the
address range (ports) for the cards. Most cards would work with any ports as
long as there wasn't an addressing conflict. With a range of 255 ports, the
system was very flexible.

I don't recall for sure but, I think STD standard only requires GND, +5,
+12, and -12 volts. If that's the case, you should be able to wire a regular
PC power supply to the backplane. A full rack which could be 20 or more
cards will certainly suck some power but the few cards that you have would
be well within the capacity of a small PS.

If you trace the lines from the 1488 and 1489 chips to the header connector,
you should be able with a little experimentation figure out how to connect a
dumb terminal. If not, I'll look it up for you.

As far as software, most of the controllers either had the application
burned in ROM or they would boot from an external disk (often CPM). The
BIOSs may be specific to a particular variant of the OS so, not all of them
will work together. IE: A microsys BIOS will probably not work with a DEC
version CPM. A prolog BIOS may not work with a microsys boot disk, etc...

Let me know what specific info you need.

See ya,

Steve