PC/MS-DOS 1.00?

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Tue Mar 13 12:44:53 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Marvin wrote:
> Thanks for the info (!) and I am in Santa Barbara. I have several 16-64K
> motherboards including (I think) one actually installed in the IBM PC. I
> have at least one of the black IBM Power Supplies, and was wondering where
> they fit in the general scheme of the PC; sounds like they were one of the
> first releases.

"One of". A friend who got her PC a few months before I got my first one,
did NOT have a black power supply!

> I've been curious for many years but haven't received any info; did IBM ever
> release a cassette with the IBM name on it?

Cassette, yes. Player/recorder, no.
The "Guide to Operations" included "Diagnostics", which came on cassette.
Should I dig out some of them?

Is there demand for copies of the "Guide to Operations"??!? Wow. This
list could save a lot of dump fees!

> This thread is the first I've heard of anyone actually having PC-DOS 1.0,
> and just goes to show there are a lot of knowledgeable people here!

"Knowledgeable"??!?
Naah. Tony, maybe. The rest of us were just in the wrong place at the
wrong time.

BTW, starting with version 2.00, and the implementation of DOS API
function 30h, the version number ALWAYS had two digits to the right of the
period, and was internally stored as if it were a two digit decimal
number. There was never a version three point three nor a version six
point two, but there WAS a version three point thirty and a version six
point twenty! Function 30h on 3.3 gives 1Eh as the minor version (in AH)
and on 6.2 gives 14h as the minor version.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred        cisin_at_xenosoft.com