IBM 3380 disk drives / info?

From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis_at_mcmanis.com>
Date: Mon Mar 19 11:48:01 2001

Yup, the 3380 gave for great head crashes. Sitting in the machine room
"playing" on the vector graphic console of a IBM 370 when the SP looks over
at me and says, "You hear something?"

"No," I said, but then I did. Kind of like a mosquito very far away, then
as it descended in frequency it got louder and louder. Finally a bansee
screech and then dead silence. We both looked to the *wall* of 3380's the
were hooked to the system. About midway down the wall, top drive, the fault
indicator flickered to life. The drawer (self actuated!) slowly opened, and
the top cover popped open. A small could of white smoke came out from the
sides and floated lazily to the ceiling, only to be whisked away by the
HVAC when it got to the top.

"Guess I'll go to lunch now." said the SP.

--Chuck