Hp85a

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Mon Mar 19 15:01:19 2001

Hi Bill,

   The HP 85 was/is very popular. I have about a dozen of them and i'm sure
that a LOT of the list members also have them. The 85A has 16k of ram and
the B has 32k. There is a 16k ram cartridge that can be plugged into the
back of the A to bring it up to 32k. There are four expansion slots in the
back of the 85. There are a lot of interfaces, special devices and ROMs
that can be plugged into any of the slots. A quick E-bay search should show
a good sample of them. The interfaces include HP-IB, HP-IL, seriel (RS-232)
and GPIO (16 bit parallel bus). Devices include a CPM module, MODEM and a
speech synthesizer. Expansion ROMs are slightly larger than a postage stamp
and have to plugged into a "ROM drawer". The drawer can hold up to six
ROMs. There is a HP 85 web site at www.ebbsoft.com. Check it for more info
or ask here if you have any specific questions.

   Joe

   PS check the feed roller in your tape drive and see if it's sticky
BEFORE you try to use a tape in it. Virtually all of the rollers get soft
and sticky with age. You should find LOTS more about that problem if you
search the archives of this list.