Hp85a

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Mon Mar 19 15:31:01 2001

At 11:08 AM 3/19/01 -0800, Wanye wrote:

>The tapes you need are DC100A's. HP sold them as
>either HP 98200's or HP 200 Series 9800. 3M and Scotch
>were also supliers. I have about 20 of these tapes,
>which probably date back at least 10-12 years (I don't
>think they are made any longer) and most have oxide
>layer loss problems. Therefore, I recommend the disk
>drive if you want to store programs with the view
>toward someday retrieving them.
>
>-W

   Wayne,

    Do any of those tapes contain original software? If so I'd like to
beg/borrow/steal them. I have a couple of 85s with working tape drives and
I'm trying to collect and presenrve as much of the original software as
possible. As you mentioned, most of the tapes are quickly being rendered
useless due to flaking media.

   You can use old DECtapes or the old 40Mb tapes for PCs in the HP-85.
Both are much better quality than the HP tapes. You will have to reformat
the other tapes but they work fine. The command to re-format them is
INITIALIZE.

      Joe