pdp 11s to be auctioned at Goddard

From: Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 06:32:50 2001

>> In your expirence, and using the above example, could you approach the guy
>> and make an offer for the Dynabyte or will he get pissy or greedy?
>
> In my experience (auction at a university, lost some cool HPs and monitors
>to a pair of guys like this) they'll probabably say no right there, call us
>back later once we've had time to inventory the stuff (and the cynical side
>of me would like to add: and set a price to gouge you since you've actually
>shown an interest).

Same is what I find typical, if you can't cut a deal on the spot, expect to
pay retail later.

Best time to cut a deal, before the bidding.

Then immediately after the auction, or sometimes waiting until pickup day
when the guy decides it all isn't going to fit in the rental truck, but you
risk missing the deal the longer you wait.

Leaving a card for a call back is the worst, UNLESS you can cut some long
term deal with a person who REALLY has no interest in the junk you want.