10Base5/Thicknet (was Re: SUN networking problems)

From: Bill Gunshannon <bill_at_cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 24 20:51:32 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, ajp166 wrote:

> The velocity factor of the specified cable doesnt vary much
> or at least not much if it's in spec. FYI yellow pipe is very good
> cable.

Actually, as coax for RF purposes, it's junk. It is the lossiest of
all the RG8's and is still within spec when lossier than even other
samples of the same cable manufactured for non-networking uses. If
it weren't so lossy, it would be connected to one of my antennae right
now.

> I could use 100ft of it right now.

It's sitting here waiting for someone to pick it up!!

bill

bill_at_cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |