RK11-C and Straight-8 restoration

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 26 12:17:30 2001

--- Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > It's not so much parts as time and docs. I may have the RK11-C prints...

> An H720 PSU IIRC. I can't remember if it needs voltages other than +5V,
> though. It may need -15V, but probably not much else.

I'm sure I have a few of those sitting around.

> > ...I got it in 1984... I proceeded, in my youthful ignorance, to crash the
> > RK05F...
>
> It's probably possible to repair that if/when you have time. If you were
> in the UK, I'd offer to give you a hand doing it (I may even have a spare
> set of -F heads, but I don't want to send them by post...)

I don't think I have that drive intact anymore. I was working for a small
company doing DEC repairs in 1988 and I think I stripped mine down for parts
about the same time I reduced two pallets of them down to four working drives
for my boss. What I'll probably have to do is convert a working RK05J into
a working RK05F by replacing the heads, changing the jumpers, removing the
cartridge loading mechanism and changing out the faceplace (I think I still
have it somewhere). Before anyone bemoans the loss, remember, this was more
than ten years ago when such things were being thrown away. I have rescued
several RK05 drives over the years and only the one was stripped. I don't
know if the heads would be useful, even if I kept them; one was pretty goobered
up when it crashed. I know I still have the platter - there is no oxide over
a three-inch stripe on one side. I planed it all off when I screwed up. It
was the first hard disk I ever interacted with and it did _not_ survive the
experience.

Since I do have a single RK05F cart (16 sector!), I would eventually like to
get a working F drive, but it's ultra-low priority.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.