i286-Mainboard

From: Sipke de Wal <sipke_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Wed Mar 28 12:19:35 2001

There should be a dipswitch on the board. By means of this dip-switch you can
configure the type and the amount of RAM on the board. But you would need
the data on the dipswitch. Various 286-boards had different ways to use the
dipswitches. I wonder what kind of RAM you put on it, like banks of 8*(256k*1),
8*(1m*1), 2*(256k*4) these all DIL-chips or ... SIPPs. Only very late 286-boards
allowed for 30-pin SIPPs (almost identical to 30-pin SIMMs, but with leads
rather
than edge contacts)

12Mhz CPU-clock sounds right to me if the oscillator was 24Mhz.

The turbo switch should be connected to a 2-pin header on the board
in order to change the clock between 12Mhz or 6Mhz (the original IBM AT
speed). A turbo-led connector should also be present this being connected
to a fancy dual 7-segment display module that could be jumper-configured
to any two settings like HI-LO of 12-06 or any creative display that you would
fancy.

Sometimes the turbo-speed could be software-switched with <ctrl> <alt> <+>
to set to turbo or toggle the speed and <ctrl> <alt> <-> to set to low speed
(the + and the - on the numerical keyboard that is)

Just try some .....

Sipke de Wal
http://xgistor.ath.cx