Crystal Radios (was Re: List spammer ID'd)

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Fri Mar 30 13:23:47 2001

On Mar 30, 8:39, Richard Erlacher wrote:
> Well, if the purpose of the crystal + (what we used was a safety-pin) is
> function as a diode, then is it still a crystal radio if a diode is used
> instead?

Sure. Early germanium diodes are point-contact devices made using a small
crystal of germanium.

I've not tried it, but I imagine a modern Schottky diode would be a good
replacement. Some of them have an even lower voltage drop than normal
germanium diodes, so the set would be a little more sensitive.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager