Amiga questions

From: Gareth Knight <gareth.knight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat Mar 31 04:58:40 2001

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> AFAIK, yes. The A600 was available with and without drives and ISTR the
> ROMs were different, but I've owned just about every other model than that
> and can't comment from personal experience.

Yep. Every A1200 came with an IDE interface.

> There are no inbuilt _intentional_ (i.e., marketing driven) size
limitations
> beyond the usual sorts of things one gets trying to bolt a drive onto a
ten-
> year-old system that never conceived of a monsterous storage device. I
think
> there is a general 4Gb limit on disks, SCSI or IDE. I know there is an
issue
> with the FFS and number of blocks in the device. I have personally never
put
> anything over 4Gb on an Amiga, but have had lots of luck with 20Mb on up
> 1Gb.

The 4Gb problem can be bypassed by purchasing AmigaOS 3.5 /3.9.

> The 2.5" connector provides power as well as data. If you address that
issue,
> yes, you can use an adapter to hook a 3.5" device (or 5.25", like a
CD-ROM)
> to your A1200.

The 3.5" hard disk on my A1200 takes power from the disk drive.

> > On the hardware side of things, someone said the 1200's IDE controller
is
> > basically unbuffered I/O straight to the CPU (which sounds possible
> > certainly with IDE) and so it's real easy to toast things - is that
true?

Eyetech and several other manufacturers sell a 4-way buffered IDE adaptor.
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide http://amiga.emugaming.com