Need source for high current HP type (with dimple) 14 or 16AWG 110vac power cord

From: Gary Hildebrand <>
Date: Sun Jan 27 16:50:26 2002

Russ Blakeman wrote:
> Need a power cable for the Netserver, they got one with all of the machines
> they bought for resale so I have to locate one. It's a standard PC type (HP)
> plug on the server side except that it's got a dimple on the side opposite
> the angled corners and it's either 16 or 14AWG due to the 12A draw of the
> server. I also assume it to have a different plug, not sure though. I'm sure
> that other applications use the same thing with all the heavy servers out
> there and that someone has an aftermarket source or has a few ratholed with
> no immenent use for it/them.
> HP has theirs listd for US as 8120-5395 but is no longer available (go
> figure - no power cord and you have a useless server).
> I really don't want to chance grooving a standard 18AWG cord and watching
> the fire dept as they hose my shop and new server down.
> I just checked JDR and Jameco - Jameco lists a standard cable at 14AWG but
> no real picture of the end, just a generic photo/figure. Now it's time to
> dig out the Mouser and Digikey catalogs - might find the HP end that I need,
> I have plenty of heavy duty power cables with regular female outlets (some
> 12AWG) that I can use. In that case I could even wire it direct or to 220
> (autoranging/adjusting unit). Have to research a little I guess.

Wonder what the dimple is for? should be able to use a standard IEC
connector cord with heay gauge wire. Can't believe that thing is that
big of a juice hog. Electric heaters draw about that much power.

Gary Hildebrand
Received on Sun Jan 27 2002 - 16:50:26 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:34:58 BST