DECdatasystems

From: Bill Pechter <pechter_at_bg-tc-ppp1648.monmouth.com>
Date: Sun Mar 3 06:23:23 2002

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Gunther Schadow wrote:
>
> > Don't know if it means any to you, but I have a PDP-8/A under the
> > DECdatasystems label.
>
> Right. That would fit in with my theory that when certain products or
> models were getting old, DEC rehashed them as DECdatasystems instead of
> just EOLing them. Give 'em a new name, maybe a slightly different look,
> and (probably) sell them for less. This could have been done to compete
> with the other guys, like DG, who were selling less expensive computers.
>
> --
> Jeffrey S. Sharp
> jss_at_subatomix.com

I don't think so... IIRC the DECdatasystems usually were packaged systems
with OS, tape, printer and disk... basically computer room in a truck.

They were usually for timeshare use (RSTS/E) or CTS-xxx.

Bill
--
  d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN.  Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
  bpechter_at_shell.monmouth.com|pechter_at_ureach.com