Need Shugart 851 manual

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 4 19:59:45 2002

There are several versions of the '80x manual, but, unless I completely miss
my guess, at least one of mine has pin 2 defined for RWC. Now, several of the
implementation instructions for the old "radial" options use that same line,
telling you to cut it free before using it for radial ready or radial index,
or whatever.

It would be really interesting to know which version of the drive the Intel
folks intended to be used here. For most purposes, the RWC signal generated
internally by the drive itself is perfectly adequate for detecting track 43,
thereby freeing up the signal on pin 2, but only the later versions of the
Shugart drives used that. The connection to pin 2 was removed from the doc's
at about the time that they stopped using a negative supply, IIRC.

Needless to say, it would be interesting to know whether this controller board
even uses the head select signal that requisite for two-sided operation.

Dick