RX02 / DSD440 problem

From: Tom Leffingwell <tom_at_sba.miami.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 4 20:35:25 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Tony Duell wrote:

> This sounds suspiciously like a Shugart SA801 drive. Is there a label on
> the drive chassis itself? If it is an SA801, what is the part number of
> the PCB?

Thanks! It is a Shugart 801. I thought I mentioned it in my email, but
appartently, I didn't. I don't have the drive in front of me right now,
but I'll grab the number off of it later.

D on 1 of the drives (the first one) is in. One the second drive, the pin
furtherest from the edge of the board is wire wrapped to the center pin of
of the 3-pin DC. Does that make sense?

So basically, there isn't any difference between the two drives in terms
of addressing besides DS1 and DS2 jumpers. That means my problem is on
the board on the bottom of the drive itself. And something tells me it
will end up being an IC that I can't get a replacement for. The actuator
that moves the head doesn't want to go back to track zero on power up.
It vibrates back and forth about a couple of steps and then stops. I
checked the stepper with an ohm meter, and board-swapped between the two
drives.