Suggestions for hauling Computer Garage from Beaverton, OR toYates

From: Tothwolf <tothwolf_at_concentric.net>
Date: Tue Mar 5 11:08:37 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Julius Sridhar wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Chad Fernandez wrote:
>
> > Where has rail been ripped up? I've never heard of that happening. Is
> > it a national trend?
>
> The rail's being ripped out all over the place. More than half of the
> rail freight carriers in the U.S. went under in the 1970's.

Either the city of Houston or the county recently removed a main line
(don't know the designation) that stretched across the city. IIRC, it
connected lots of warehouse areas together, and had lots of small spurs to
other areas. We still have lots more rail that is still in use, but it
does not reach all the warehouse areas that it once did. The abandonment
of that one line seemed to be due to more use of trucks instead of trains
for shipping. The Metro rail project that is going on right now is reusing
the rail that was removed.

-Toth