OpenSTEP for VMS

From: r. 'bear' stricklin <red_at_bears.org>
Date: Tue Mar 5 18:28:54 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Doc wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
> > First I've heard of it. It primarily ran on NeXT hardware (of course), x86
> > systems, and had limited support for HP and Sparc. I've *never* heard VMS
> > mentioned as having any sort of an OPENSTEP environment.
>
> We are talking about OpenSTEP, right? Not NeXTSTEP? There has
> been a port of OpenSTEP to XFree86 for long and long.

What? No. Enlightenment is _not_ OPENSTEP. At best you can think of it
like this:

        OPENSTEP == Bentley
        Enlightenment == Volkswagen Beetle with a Bentley hood kit

OPENSTEP is the app framework that was arguably the core of NeXT's IP. It
was available for Windows NT, Mach (which made essentially NEXTSTEP 4),
Solaris, and unobtainably HP-UX.

Gnustep is the project that was trying to replicate OPENSTEP in a
gnu-friendly way. It has a loooong way to go, still.

At one point Digital licensed NeXT technologies (just as IBM did) but
never delivered anything.

ok
r.