OpenSTEP for VMS

From: Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Wed Mar 6 11:45:10 2002

Yes. Right. Nope. :)

That is, GNUStep is far from OpenSTEP. It is still a work in
progress, and while it has a very nice NeXT like window manager
for X11, it's not a complete OpenSTEP environment by any means.

It's also not a port, but a re-implementation from specs.

What I am talking about would be a port -- of OpenSTEP (not
NeXTSTEP), to VMS on Alpha. (There is a FAQ somewhere that
explains OpenSTEP vs. NeXTSTEP [vs. NeXTStep...)

In a nutshell, I believe that NeXTStep refers to a subset of
NeXTSTEP licensed to IBM at one point. NeXTSTEP is the full
original NeXT environment. OpenStep was modularized, and the
operating system functions were separated from the user
environment, which was then ported to other platforms (including
Windows [ISTR] and Solaris, and, so I have heard recently, VMS)

Of course, that is mostly from memory, so any of it could be way
off.

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'