Soldering old iron (was: Re: I have a PDP-11/34 programmer's console, what should I do with it?

From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz_at_unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
Date: Thu Mar 7 08:25:05 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:10:08PM +0100, Andreas Freiherr wrote:

> Yes, I have not only heard this hint, but also tried to follow it. At
> least with my tools, I always have trouble getting to the pins to cut.
I have some very small and fine edge cutters...

> Using a pump is mandatory, no question about this. I sometimes can
> improve results by using some screening maze from a coax cable to take
> up solder that my pump would refuse to eat.
There is some special desolderings maze. It is coated with flux and
works better than screening maze.

> Jochen, you are in Germany as well:
> are those ELV7000 series kits still around somewhere?
ELV ist (_at_$%&!#$%. Get a Weller or ERSA.
Some years ago I bought a soldering station as birthday gift for
a friend. It is a "simple" analog controled ERSA station with a
70W iron. He still has it and it works like on the first day.
It is importand to have more than 50W and electronic control
if you try to solder biger parts. This includes multi layer
PCBs. You need the Wats to get the solder fast enough to melt,
but without elctronic the iron is to hot.

For desoldering 14 or 16 DIPs I use a big 175W Iron. I filed the
end of this "hammer" to fit between the two pin rows. It looks
horrible, but is very good. Put the iron on the back of the chip -
1 - 2 - plop the chip comes out of the PCB.

> I think I'll spend a socket on this chip, even if it wasn't there
> originally.
_Allways_ use a socket when replace chips.
--
tsch??,
         Jochen