MicroVAX-II questions

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 8 12:42:57 2002

--- Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > > "Synchronous communications controller" sounds like it requires a
> > > DMV11 on the other end as well.
> >
> > It's a sync serial interface...you'd connect it to a CSU/DSU and a
> > leased line, or something similar.

I have at least one dial-up sync modem (from my HASP/3780/SNA days). ISTR
it's 2400 bps. Also, for in-room use, we used to use sync modem
eliminators - think of a null-modem for an async port, but add some
electronics to squirt out a baud rate clock on both ports on pin 15
and 17. We used to use COMBOARDs off the test bench to make our own
point-to-point HASP network for moving files from box to box. Beat
paying DEC for their DDCMP cards (we didn't have a single scrap of
Ethernet, even up through 1994).

-ethan