Punch Card Humor

From: Douglas Quebbeman <dhquebbeman_at_theestopinalgroup.com>
Date: Fri Mar 8 14:16:35 2002

> That reminds me of the time in High School when they had all
> of us in the 12th grade fill out this scanned form asking
> all sorts of information I didn't think they needed. The form
> was the type filled out with a #2 pencil and optically scanned.
> I filled mine out (more or less correct, leaving answers I
> didn't want to give blank), then took the extra time messing
> with the control marks along the edge.
>
> I don't know if the changed control marks had anything to do
> with it, but we never got the results back.

Too bad you didn't go to my high school, 1980-1982...

We had two such scanners- a little one that you fed a master
into that had "the answers" and then subsequently the student
answer forms, and it checked and marked them directly.

Then we had a monster that was also programmable, but wrote
out a 9-track tape that we'd load onto the Kennedy on the Prime...
but IIRC, we could not get it to deal with the multiple marks.
So I had to write a PL/I program that would always mark
wrong any question with multiple answers.

;)