Blank Paper Tape Question

From: Lawrence LeMay <lemay_at_cs.umn.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 8 19:59:36 2002

> Does regular paper tape normally come with the sprocket holes pre-punched,
> or does the device that punches the data holes also punch the sprocket
> holes?

The paper tape punch also punches the sprocket holes.

> I recently bought some "paper tape" from eBay, and it looks like
> the right stuff except it's totally without holes. I don't think I've
> ever seen "virgin" tape before, but I had the idea that the sprocket holes
> down the middle came with the tape. I'm kicking around trying to build my
> own tape punch, since I have been unsuccessful at scrounging or buying one
> so far.

You have been unsuccessful for a very simple reason. Western Numerical
Controls sells new and refurbished tape readers and punches at absurdly
high prices. And because of this, they buy all the good punches that
appear on ebay. In fact, the guy who buys them, is the exact same guy
who sold you that paper tape.

Its very difficult to compete with a bidder who plans to turn around and
resell (or attempt to resell) the paper tape punches for $2000.00 or
so that he buys for $200 - $600 on ebay.

> I picked up some stainless steel flat and some rod of the
> appropriate diameter for the holes today, along with some solenoids for
> actuating said rods. I'm thinking of machining the stainless to make my
> own punch, but the lack of sprocket holes on the new tape has me confused.
> Do I need to add another solenoid and pin to punch a smaller hole for the
> sprocket, or did I just buy some odd-ball tape?

Are you making some sort of manual paper tape punch?

-Lawrence LeMay