IC replacement tricks (was Re: I have a PDP-11/34 programmer's console, what should I do with it?)

From: Gunther Schadow <gunther_at_aurora.regenstrief.org>
Date: Fri Mar 8 20:39:44 2002

Hey, my method works beautifully on TTL chips:

get a #1 cannula (needle) and remove the sharp edge so that
you simply have a very small steel pipe. Turn board around
and heat pins to remove one by one. As soon as the soldering
melts push the cannula over the pin and through the hole in
the board. That's very gentle to the chip and the board.
I have moved the C64 SID that way and it worked very well.

-Gunther