Unix on MVII; Was Re: MicroVAX-II questions

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Sat Mar 9 11:02:01 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> Linux/VAX runs on QBus machines? Dos it at last run?

  If I read the status reports correctly, it "partially boots" on
several of the QBus VAXen.

> OpenBSD has "stolen" a lot of the NetBSD VAX stuff and may run
> on a MVII.

  I may not have ever given OpenBSD a fair shake, but I've been less
than impressed with it on x86 and Alpha. Seems in general to be more of
a cult than a separate OS.

> I would sugest to go to http://www.tuhs.org/ and get some old
> 4.3BSD-Tahoe stuff. This is straight, plain, good, old BSD UNIX.
> This will run fine on a MVII.

  Now, THAT is what I wanted to hear.

  What about the Ultrix-32M that's archived there? The images are all
DX50 floppy. Does anyone know if these can be stacked to a bootable
TK50 tape? I've seen a lot of passing mentions of Ultrix-32 on MVII.
More info? Opinions?

        Doc