Breaking into my Newton

From: Chris <mythtech_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Mar 10 13:34:38 2002

>Of course, the problem is that it's password protected and stuffed if I
>know what it was. Any ideas on how to break in (I suspect after so many
>years I don't really care about the data although it'd be fun to find out
>what I saved there).
>
>This is an Original Messagepad running OS 1.3.

IIRC, if you hold the power button ON (slide the switch down like you are
turning it on, but hold it down), and then press the reset button inside
the battery compartment... that will wipe the system memory. That will
reset the password as well as wipe out EVERYTHING you might have had
loaded.... basically it defaults it back to factory settings. (Although,
I think any system upgrades you installed are preserved).

There is probably a tech note about this on Apple's web site, as it was a
fairly common issue back in the Newton days.

-chris

<http://www.mythtech.net>