Breaking into my Newton

From: Huw Davies <Huw.Davies_at_kerberos.davies.net.au>
Date: Fri Mar 15 01:48:32 2002

At 02:34 PM 10/03/2002 -0500, Chris wrote:

>IIRC, if you hold the power button ON (slide the switch down like you are
>turning it on, but hold it down), and then press the reset button inside
>the battery compartment... that will wipe the system memory. That will
>reset the password as well as wipe out EVERYTHING you might have had
>loaded.... basically it defaults it back to factory settings. (Although,
>I think any system upgrades you installed are preserved).
>
>There is probably a tech note about this on Apple's web site, as it was a
>fairly common issue back in the Newton days.

Well after a week or so of worrying about what my password could be (and
trying lots of them) it came to me a few minutes ago. Success, I now have
access to my Newton!

I'd forgotten how good the user interface was and how bad the character
recognition is. User interface is better than that on my iPAQ (running
Linux) but until I retrain the Newton, it's the keyboard for me.

Guess the next steps are to get new batteries and work out how to
synchronize things. If I could get my Outlook appointments downloaded
perhaps I could start using it for work!

Huw Davies | e-mail: Huw.Davies_at_kerberos.davies.net.au