Microchannel and Redhat?

From: James B. DiGriz <jbdigriz_at_dragonsweb.org>
Date: Mon Mar 11 11:33:48 2002

Doc wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 SUPRDAVE_at_aol.com wrote:
>

>>In a message dated 3/10/2002 10:53:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>>fernande_at_internet1.net writes:
>>
>><< Will factory Redhat work with MicroChannel? I'm having trouble loading
>> anything but Windows on this computer!! >>
>>
>>ive heard that slackware will.
>>

> Debian will. I don't know about Slackware. Along about v4.0, Slack
> got to be more headache than it was worth.
>
> Doc

Never tried to put any of them on a Microchannel machine. They should
all work, though. This case sounds like a bad cable, or controller, or a
drive or burner that needs cleaning maybe? Or maybe a problem with the
media?

Most of my production machines are running Slackware. Try out Slackware
8.0 sometime. If anything, the newer Slackwares have been more and more
simple to install. Do remove relevant pkgs and install the
slackware-current updates to cover some security vulns that have been
found in most linux and unix distro's since last year. If you want to
simplify or guify configuring and administering servers and daemons in a
non-invasive manner, install Webmin, which is not included with Slackware.

Speaking of Slackware, I did my first install from floppies made from
images from NOPV10. My copy of that CD got trashed along the way, so I'm
looking for a good source of old shareware, PD, and technical CD
titles, especially now that Walnut Creek, either as a company or as a
property, seems to have disappeared into thin air, along with the ftp
archive. If anyone has any suggestions, please post them here.

This is topical, since the CD's I'm thinking of originated in the late
'80s, when large numbers were still dialing up BBS'es over
Telenet/PC-Pursuit/Tymnet via X.25 switches running on PDP-10's and the
like, or chatting and sharing files on dial-up or X.25 connected online
services running on VAXen, Primes, and such. There just was no Internet
for us unwashed masses back then, unless you used the facilities of a
big corp or university. And it seems that this stuff, user-developed
software from that era, is not just off the Internet radar, but in
danger of sliding off the screen of historians, collectors, and
hobbyists, as well. I think it is useful to make sure that it remains
available for people who get hold of old machines with little or no
software installed.

jbdigriz