eBay Purchase

From: Jerome Fine <jhfine_at_idirect.com>
Date: Mon Mar 11 15:18:04 2002

Help - What am I doing wrong?

I sent the following response (SEE AFTER DOUBLE LINES of ======)
to a previous e-mail in respect of auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2006598832

This time he did not even reply. Am I being overly cautious is making
sure that the correct customs documents are used?

Previously, we have agreed on the Shipping, Handling and insurance
to be $ 24.45 and that he would ship to Canada, but for some reason
which I can't understand, he seems to think that using the GREEN CN-22
or a COMMERCIAL INVOICE is not a reasonable requirement.
While the shipping seems a bit high, I did not quibble and agreed to
pay what was asked.

His Positive feedback seems satisfactory, so what could the problem be?

His name and address are:
Bobert1959_at_aol.com
Bob Bruns
6334 Alta Oaks Dr
Garland, TX 75043

However, this information seems to not be traceable.

Is there anyone at eBay whom I can contact?

Any other suggestions?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine

MY RESPONSE TO HIS E-MAIL FOLLOWS:
Bob Burns does not reply.

>Bobert1959_at_aol.com wrote:
> the terms of the auction are decided prior to the end. No other terms will be
> accpeted. The shipping amount has agreed on. If for some reason the auction
> terms are unacceptable. I will sell the item to the next highest bidder.

Jerome Fine replies:

If everything in this e-mail is satisfactory, please respond with
"Confirmed" as the first word in the body of your reply.

Also, please add if you wish me to prepare the COMMERCIAL
INVOICE for you.

Your reply seems to suggest that by requesting that you comply with
shipping requirements at port of entry into Canada (and probably
any country - although I am not familiar with regulations elsewhere),
I am changing the terms of the auction. I hope that this reply will
help you to understand that the terms of the auction are not
part of the requirements for shipping the drive and that I have
nothing to do with these requirements.

In addition, if you read my last e-mail carefully, all that you have
been asked to do is to correctly provide the value of the item
to the customs officials in Canada. When a package is sent via
USPS, then I understand that a GREEN CN-22 form is used.
However, since I am not aware of exactly how USPS handles
air shipments, I may be incorrect. In that case, customs officials
in Canada may require a "Commercial Invoice" which is filled
out (based on my limited understanding) as a simple paper with:

===================================
               COMMERCIAL INVOICE
Your Name, Address and phone contact number
My Name, Address and phone contact number
Value of the Drive: $ US 11.50
===================================

It is that simple. I don't set the requirements.

Here is my part if you need to send a Commercial Invoice:

Fine Services & Co. Ltd.
PST Exempt - 1531 2240
2 Inglis Gate
Willowdale, Ontario, Canada M2R 3G3
Attention: Jerome Fine (416) 667-8233

Please note that ALL FIVE lines are essential
for the complete address and contact phone number.
In addition, ALL FIVE lines are essential on the
outside of the box and on any shipping document.

I will include this information on a sheet of paper
which I will include with the money order and the
auction Item Number 2006598832. All you
will need to do if a Commercial Invoice is required
is to add your contact phone number to your
name and address plus the actual value of the
eBay auction.

Again, I don't set the shipping arrangements - they
are imposed by Canadian Customs at the port of
entry. I you wish, I can prepare the COMMERCIAL
INVOICE for you - all you will need to do is add your
contact phone number to the paper.

I anticipate that you don't wish to violate the requirements
that Customs Canada imposes. I certainly don't think
that a COMMERCIAL INVOICE is a difficult requirement
since it takes less than a minute to fill out. All of our e-mails
have certainly taken much longer. Certainly I have never
encountered anyone who has ever refused to provide
a COMMERCIAL INVOICE to Canadian Customs
since all of the information is normally available in any
case, just not consolidated onto the form which they
insist on - although I agree it is a pain in the posterior
if you ask my opinion.

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine