HP LJ 2 mobo -> Apple LW 2 NT

From: Chris <mythtech_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Mar 11 22:41:23 2002

>I've always rebuilt my own fusers. Take them to bits and replace just the
>lamp and/or rollers as appropriate. It's cheaper (generally), and I know
>it's been put together correctly with grease on the moving parts...

Humm... I might just do that.

The fuser looks to be in great shape (clean, nothing looks burnt or
corroded) other than the main roller. The old wiping pad that was in
there had been pressed pretty flat, and a bit of the plastic had been
touching the fuser roller... as a result, there is a scratch that runs
around the roller. The coating is now starting to peel off, and although
it is working fine right now, I know it is only a matter of time before
it stops fusing the toner correctly, and starts leaving a stripe of
flaked toner.

When that time comes... I will look into the cost of a new roller vs a
whole new assembly. (I seem to recall having replaced the fuser on my
IINT, and I think the whole assembly was only about $50... but I might be
thinking of the wrong printer)

I fully plan on keeping this HP running for some time. My IINT has been
an absolute work horse for years, so I know the SX engine is a good one,
easy to work with, can get parts fairly cheap and easily... and if cared
for, will just keep on going. So I don't mind spending repair money as
needed with it (unlike the Panasonic KX-P4420 that I am dumping rather
than spend $200 to replace consumable parts... the Panasonic is an Ok
printer, but nothing great, and parts are hard to get, and are expensive)

-chris

<http://www.mythtech.net>