New hard drive in an Indigo2

From: Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Tue Mar 12 11:03:10 2002

Since this is arguably an on-topic machine, I think I can probably
get away with asking here.

The hard drive on my Indigo2 is about to give out -- at least I
believe this to be the case, since "Internal diagnostics predict
the drive will fail soon" ;)

Now, this machine has a 2.1G drive right now, but If I'm going
to replace it, I'd like to replace it with something that I can
capture some video on, which means at least 9G (or up to 21G).

I believe the bus on this thing is normal SCSI-2, which has never
been a problem for me. The problem I find now is that all the
drive with the capacity I'd like to have for it are Fast/Wide/
Ultra/SCA/New/Improved/God-Like SCSI drives (Now with Vitamin C).
:)

I guess the question is:

Do they make a normal SCSI-2 drive that's about 10G or larger?
(better if it fits in the 3.5" by 1" (or so) sled)

If not, is it possible to plug in an ultra SCSI drive? Will the
drive slow itself down to normal speed if it's properly adapted?

Has anyone tried either of these things? I am interested in both
theory and practice, here.

Lastly, what about a SCSI-2 hardware RAID (cost, etc)? What about
a Fiberchannel interface for this ting (is there even such a board?)

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'