New hard drive in an Indigo2

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Tue Mar 12 11:49:04 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Christopher Smith wrote:

> Do they make a normal SCSI-2 drive that's about 10G or larger?
> (better if it fits in the 3.5" by 1" (or so) sled)

  All the 9G+ narrow SCSI drives I can think of ar 5.25" drives.

> If not, is it possible to plug in an ultra SCSI drive? Will the
> drive slow itself down to normal speed if it's properly adapted?

  I dunno about SGI, but I've got a couple of 2.1G Ultra drives in a
VAXstation.... I've had better results in general putting the 50-68pin
adapter at the SCSI board rather than at the drive. I don't think it
matters much, though. I _do_ think how you terminate does matter. A
passive narrow terminator (eg most CDs' internal termination) seems
unreliable with wide drives on the channel. We had the drive speed/bus
speed fla^H^H^H, I mean thread, last month. ;^)
  But, yes. I personally have never seen a SCSI drive overrun the
adapter.

> Has anyone tried either of these things? I am interested in both
> theory and practice, here.

  Yes. Alla time.

> Lastly, what about a SCSI-2 hardware RAID (cost, etc)? What about
> a Fiberchannel interface for this ting (is there even such a board?)

  I've got a Mylex PCI 20mbit adapter (DAC960[PL?]) I'll trade you
cheap. It's my opinion that on a non-server box, the gained speed is
minimal compared to the lost storage capacity suffered with any reliable
RAID, unless you really need to mirror your data.

        Doc