Free: older hardware, mainly PC

From: Richard W. Schauer <rws_at_enteract.com>
Date: Wed Mar 13 21:06:27 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> trying to heat things up enough to be removed. As with most things,
> though, good tools and practice on replaceable items is essential
> before tackling tough jobs. I can see how people can be intimidated
> by a job that starts with firing up the iron.

I am going to make an offer to the list, since it's been helpful to me for
so long. I am willing to de-solder and re-solder parts for classic
computer stuff if you send them to me and pay return postage. I have all
three of: good equipment, time, and experience. I de-solder through-hole
parts with a professional vacuum de-soldering station and I can do
surface-mount parts with pins on two opposite sides with hot tweezers,
pretty much no reasonable limit on number of pins- I have lots of tips. I
don't have a hot-air rework station for removing quads but I can
do two things there: my usual method is to cut the chip out (I have a
special method to prevent lifting lands) or if the PCB isn't densely
populated I have a hot air gun. I do soldering by hand. I solder
size-0201 capacitors at work occasionally (imagine a part that occupies
.05 cubic millimeter- it is smaller than the ball in a ball-point
pen) and so even the 200+ pin quads on today's motherboards aren't too
challenging.

If anyone has anything they need soldered or de-soldered let me know. My
offer of free labor stands indefinitely.

Richard Schauer
rws_at_enteract.com
near Chicago, Illinois