ZX-TEAM meeting and Webcam

From: Glen Goodwin <acme_ent_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Mar 15 00:17:08 2002

> From: Stan Barr <stanb_at_dial.pipex.com>

> Just curious, but what do you guys *do* with ZX81s? I've got one rebuilt
in
> a large box with loads of i/o ports and a2d converter running
multi-tasking
> Forth, but I've not plugged it in for a while...

Okay, check out:

http://home.freiepresse.de/befis/zx96_e.htm

Then tell me what you *can't* do with a ZX81 ;>)

We can:

scan documents
control overhead projectors
control CNC tools and other robotics
run BBSs
play audio CDs
load programs from CDs
burn EPROMs

In addition to the above, we also use:

AT- and PS/2-style keyboards
5.25" fdds
3.5" fdds
IDE hdds
LCD screens

I've heard that a TCP/IP protocol handler will be unveiled at this year's
meeting.

Sure, some of these operations are slow, but the point is that we're doing
a *lot* with "obsolete" hardware. If we can get this kind of functionality
out of a Z80-based system, what could *really* be done with a 486-100,
P233, or P4-2.2 GHz system, given the time and brainpower?

Sellam once said that the ZX-TEAMers were "fanatical hackers." How else is
science advanced, other than fanatical hacking (and dumb luck)?

My personal project is WIN-ZX, which will perform many of the tasks Windows
3.1 handled for the PC. Presently it requires a 64KB system with a
MEFISDOS-based IDE hard drive, but I hope to trim it down to 16KB and
cassette tape.

Hope you join us for the chat --

Glen
0/0