HTML in EMAIL

From: Andreas Freiherr <Andreas.Freiherr_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Fri Mar 15 12:34:11 2002

"David C. Jenner" wrote:

> Jerome Fine wrote:
> >
> > When I upgrade to a newer system (hopefully within a week or two),
> > I will be using Netscape V4.78 - how do you turn off automatic
> > advertising downloads? When I bring up Netscape Mail for the first
> > time during any session, before I can click on a given e-mail in the
> > InBox, the adds start all by themselves - can that be configured as
> > well - to be OFF?
>
> There is a setting (line of java code) in the file "prefs.js" that
> allows you to turn this off (i.e., not display a Netscape-defined
> HTML page) in your message pane when you start. Unfortunately, how
> to do this apparently is no longer documented in the Release Notes
> for 4.7x. I THINK you do this by inserting the line
>
> user_pref("mailnews.start_page.enabled", false);
>
> in the prefs.js file. It's been a long time since I did it.

That's what my artificial brain (my Psion 3mx) remembers. You either do
the above or (if you're desperate ;-)

user_pref("mailnews.start_page.enabled", true);
user_pref("mailnews.start_page.url", "http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm");

Remember to close all Netscape windows and make sure the Netscape
process has terminated (can take up to about 30 seconds, especially if
Java applets are running - I use to check using Task Manager) before
editing the file.

--
Andreas Freiherr
Vishay Semiconductor GmbH, Heilbronn, Germany