OT SPAM ABOOT OT SPAM Re: urgent business/investment deal

From: James B. DiGriz <jbdigriz_at_dragonsweb.org>
Date: Fri Mar 15 16:31:23 2002

Sellam Ismail wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, James B. DiGriz wrote:
>

>>>They're in some third-world African nation where the government is most
>>>likely in on the scam. I doubt their local authorities would do anything
>>>less than laugh at anyone actually filing a complaint with them.
>>>
>>Or so is purported. Even if so, official collusion will evaporate
>>instantaneously if credible evidence of wire fraud is presented by and
>>to the right parties. Nobody wants to lose their cushy IMF sinecures.
>>Again, it's of little relevance to the spam issue.
>>

> Um, James, do you realize how long these scams have been going on for? If
> you think the lame amount of money the IMF would give Nigeria if they
> cracked down on the scams that originate from there even begins to compare
> to the money that is reaped from these scams then you need to snap out of
> the haze you're in.

I've been getting them for years, here, and I'm skeptical of the notion
they're all coming from Nigeria or Africa. If nothing else, there are
bound to be copycats here and elsewhere, who might have less difficulty
pulling it off, though I find it hard to see how they could avoid
detection for very long, in these days of know-your-customer rules,
money-laundering laws, Patriot Acts, etc. Especially with the "hold our
money in your account" variants.

Yeah, ponder that one a while. Kind of odd, dontcha think? All I'm gonna
say on that.

In any case, I was referring not to the IMF bribing East Lugubria to
prosecute thieves, but to the prospect of the Minister of Justice there,
say, losing his job and the swag that he and his government already get
  , for keeping the rabble from mucking with the oil piplines and such,
if they don't cooperate. These guys are replaceable, and they know it.
Especially if you give any credence to the scams supposedly originating
from their alleged predecessors.

>>Jay runs a pretty tight ship on a high-volume list, and without throwing
>>his weight around, either. I'd say he's doing a fine job, and I don't
>>know anyone else who'd have the required time or patience to put into
>>it.
>>

> Jay pokes his head in here once or twice a month and doesn't know what's
> going on. Most of the time he doesn't even respond to e-mails.

I guess we are about at the "agree to disagree point" here. I think
we've both made our positions adequately known, at least. So this is my
last post on the subject.