List Management; Was Big African Grifters

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Fri Mar 15 16:24:01 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, James B. DiGriz wrote:

> Sellam Ismail wrote:

> > I don't think Jay has enough time to manage the list anymore. I suggest
> > we find a new operator.
>
> Jay runs a pretty tight ship on a high-volume list, and without throwing
> his weight around, either. I'd say he's doing a fine job, and I don't
> know anyone else who'd have the required time or patience to put into it.

  I have to agree with Sellam. From the looks of last month's thread
concerning ***monitoring***, NOT ***limiting***, posting access, there
seemed to be more favorable responses than negative to some kind of
"gate" for non-subscribed posters. There was no shortage of volunteers
to implement whatever system we decide on, and/or do the actual
monitoring.

  As far as Jay's performance running the list, I'd like to make two
observations -

  Unrestricted SPAM has been a very live topic for six weeks. I would
normally expect the List Operator to at least comment on feasibility of
the various proposals, and on the steps involved for the proposed
volunteers. I didn't see anything at all.

  Today is March 15, 2002. The latest post available from the online
archives is dated November 30, 2001. That's a hell of a lag.

        Doc